Fakenham 15 - 6 Wymondham 2nd – Eastern Counties 2N

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

At the weekend Fakenham hosted Wymondham seconds for this EC2 North league encounter hoping for a seventh victory in a row to keep their league challenge alive. The game kicked off with a fierce wind blowing but Wymondham looked and played stronger than Fakenham expected and so they forced the pace of the game, Fakenham's discipline at the breakdown was poor and gave away too many penalties. One attack saw Wymondham drive into the home side's 22 metre area Fakenham transgressed to give

Wymondham a kickable penalty the wind was going to be the only problem but the kicker judge it well to put the visitors in the lead 0-3. After 15 minutes of play the first injury of the game occurred when the Referee hurt his ankle and a delay ensued whist another Ref was found. When the game restarted some 20 minutes later Fakenham had to rally as the game was not going to plan and despite some excellent play Wymondham managed to repel the attacks but did concede a penalty but the wind strengthened and made the kick miss its target. Fakenham persisted and on the sixth phase Howard Kellock managed to scramble over the line to score a try, Lloyd Marshall added the extra two with a wonderful kick from wide out on the left and allowed just enough for the wind 7-3. Wymondham kicked and chased from the restart but Fakenham did not handle the following phases of play well and in desperation conceded a penalty, the Wymondham stand-off measured the kick and the wind excellently to convert and take the score at half time to 7-6.
The second half saw Fakenham take more control of the game and force the pace, making good territory on each attack but some ill-discipline gave away penalties so Wymondham could clear their lines. Again Fakenham pressed forward and when Wymondham infringed 40 metres out Tom Bain-Young decided to go for the kick and hit the long range kick dead centre of the posts 10-6. The home side were pushing forward at every opportunity now and containing the visitor's attacks as they operated their new defensive structure and did not concede a try during the game. Fakenham launched another free running and passing attack that saw Lloyd Marshall cross the line for the home side's second try to give Fakenham a lead greater than a converted try. Lloyd took the kick for the conversion but allowed too much for the wind which dropped at the moment of the kick to leave the score 15-6. Fakenham had two penalty opportunities but neither hit the mark (one hit the posts) and the game finished 15-6 to keep Fakenham fourth in the league on 31 points (Norwich Medics are 3rd also on 31 points but they have a superior points difference).
Meanwhile Fakenham seconds travelled to Norwich 3rds who were top of the league at the start of the day. The seconds had an emphatic win 7-52 to move them top of EC4 North, a great result and their third win away in four weeks.
Next week a Fakenham club side will play Mildenhall Red Lodge who play in EC2 West one of the sister leagues to the Fakenham first team league. There will be the Christmas pre-match luncheon with a good turnout expected so plenty of support for the game. The kick off is at 2:00pm