Wymondham 2nd 12 - 47 Fakenham - Eastern Counties 2N

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

In dry conditions after the earlier rain Division leading Fakenham travelled to bottom of the table Wymondham for this EC2N fixture. The pattern of the day was set early on with a score after only 3 minutes when Tom Bane-Young chased his own kick from near their 22m over the Wymondham defence and scored right by the posts, following up with a successful conversion kick. Three minutes later after steady pressure from Wymondham, they won a lineout near the Fakenham 22 and drove towards the Fakenham line only to be thwarted by a high tackle and so Fakenham conceded a penalty try which with the successful conversion leveled the score at 7 all.

More sustained pressure from Fakenham saw them score 5 minutes later after

they won possession from a scrum on the Wymondham 22 and the ball was passed down the line to George Ready who, with two men outside him, cut back through the Wymondham defence to score under the posts. Tom Bane-Young dutifully added the extra points for the conversion to take the game to 7-14. Fakenham were by this time looking totally in control of the game, especially the pack, and seven minutes later following a move down the right side, Josh Gee hacked on and picked up the ball to score Fakenham’s third, again converted by Tom B-Y. Periods of thrust and counter followed without any additional score until with 3 minutes to go to half time Tom Bane-Young repeated his earlier kick chase to score under the posts and with another successful conversion the whistle went with Fakenham leading 7-35 at half time.

After the restart Wymondham seemed to have more control and aggression but after 7 minutes of the half a poor clearance from Wymondham’s goal line was caught by Fakenham winger Josh Gee who side stepped a defender and scored in the left hand corner.  Tom Bane Young kicked a difficult conversion to take the score to 7-42. Nineteen minutes into the second half an injury to Steven Clay saw Fakenham coach Mike Curry replacing him at prop (Fakenham had only taken 16 players to the game and avoiding any more injury was now a necessity). Wymondham continued to play with spirit and determination and for the next ten minutes mounted sustained pressure without actually breaching the Fakenham defence and finally in the 75th minute they broke through in the left hand corner but were unable to convert the try (12-42).

Fakenham mounted one final effort in the 38th minute when they were awarded a penalty which was kicked into the right corner and from the lineout the forwards drove for the line and Rory Singleton touched down right in the corner.  Tom Bane-Young missed the conversion and the whistle went for time with the final score 12-47 to Fakenham and another 5 points to add to the tally and keep them at the top of Division 2N.

Next week Fakenham 1st are at home to Norwich 2nd whilst their 2nd team is away against Beccles 2nd, both games start at 3:00pm.