Fakenham 1st 65 vs Lakenham 1st 12

User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive



Fakenham had a pre match lunch prior to this Norfolk Merit Table Division 1 match. The lunch and match ball were both sponsored by AOT Engineering of Fakenham. Fakenham met a Lakenham Hewett side that were only able to raise 13 players to travel, Fakenham’s second team fixture had been cancelled and there were plenty of front row replacements so Lakenham borrowed two to enable them to start the match with a full side.

The game was started with a kick that did not travel 10 meters, Fakenham decided to have the kick re-taken and, with possession, Fakenham attacked with strength and speed to put Tom Bane-Young in for a try which he could not add the extras for the kick (5-0). Tom sustained an injury in the act of scoring and tried to play on and recover from it.


Two minutes from the restart Fakenham again attacked resulting with Josh Gee crossing under the posts which Tom B-Y converted this time (12-0). Fakenham again attacked from the restart but a misplaced pass was intercepted and Lakenham scored a opportunistic try which was not converted (12-5). There followed 3 unconverted tries to Fakenham, scored by Tim Syer, Chris Glossop and Callum Harding all preceded by good handling moves involving forwards and backs (27-5). Fakenham managed to score two converted tries from Colm Hunt and Graeme Aldridge, the kicks were put over by Paul Richardson (one of the kickers pressed into duty following the injury to Tom B-Y) taking the score at half time to 41-5.

Lakenham had worked hard in the first half without much reward for their efforts and this continued in the second half when there was no score for 20 minutes. Fakenham returned to scoring ways, however, when replacement prop Ben Litchfield crossed for a try which was converted by Paul Richardson. The next try was scored by on the field captain Howard Kellock and was quickly followed by a second try from Colm Hunt, one of the kicks was successful (60-5). The next score in the game saw Lakenham work the ball and get their just reward by scoring a try to double their tally and the two extra points to take the score to 60-12. The game finished with the last try of the game from Howard Kellock unfortunately the kick missed its mark to leave the final score 65-12.

Fakenham will travel to Holt 2nd team on Saturday 9th March for the NMT1 clash and Fakenham second team will play at home to Lakenham NUCA in a NMT3 game, both teams will kick off at 3pm and spectators are welcome at both games