Norwich Union 5 Fakenham 47

Fakenham travelled to Sprowston for this EC2 North league game against an improving Norwich Union side. With only three league fixtures left to decide the final league positions, Fakenham wanted to keep up their run of recent form in order to keep up the pressure on the top four, only a win would do for Fakenham. The first half saw Fakenham with the wind at their backs literally. Norwich Union showed their intent being the first out of the blocks, pressing Fakenham hard and pushing them deep into their own 22 metre area. Union had the better of the forward encounters both in the set scrum and the loose and starved Fakenham of possession, keeping the visitors pinned in their own half. Fakenham did manage to escape with some well-placed kicks and good running to move up the field of play. Fakenham pressed their advantage now into the home sides 22 metre area and, although they lost possession, they forced Union to knock

on and win the feed to the scrum. Paul Richardson switched the play to the blindside and fed Steven Clay who bustled and barged his way over the line to score the opening points of the game (0-5). Fakenham's second try was scored by Tom Bane-Young after a well worked backs move with dummy runners and then passed through the back to Tom to score to the right of the posts the kick was converted by Lloyd Marshall (0-12). Union were lifted when Paul Richardson's pass was intercepted by the centre and touched down to score the try but it was unconverted (5 – 12). Fakenham would add a penalty to their total to make the score 5 – 15 after a hard fought first half.
The second half started with Fakenham being frustrated by Union's defence but they managed to get into the red zone and force an attacking 5 metre scrum, number 8 Howard Kellock finished of a super scrum from the Forwards to score the try which was converted by Lloyd Marshall (5-22). Fakenham started to get on top and dictated more of the game with backs and forwards all attacking. One attack again forced a 5 metre scrum and Kellock once more found the line from the base of the scrum to score the fourth try and the try bonus point, but the kick was missed (5-27). Lloyd Marshall would make up for his missed try conversion less than 5 minutes later by converting a penalty to take the score to a very respectful 5-30. Fakenham continued to press the attack and a move involving Tom Bane-Young passing to Steven Clay who made the initial break and then passed to Lloyd Marshal to score the try and also slot over the conversion (5-37). Jack Whiteside and Lloyd Marshall made another break passing between themselves with Lloyd offloading in the tackle to Man of the Match, Luke Taylor to score a try on his debut (5-42). The final action of the game saw Jack Whiteside score a well-deserved try after assisting two other tries and leave the score at the end of the match 5-47. This was a good all-round performance with all eighteen players playing their roles well and wearing the Norwich Union resistance down allowimg the young fast backs to exploit the tiring defence. This result now stretches Fakenham's undefeated run to eleven league games.
Next week Fakenham will face promotion hopefuls Diss seconds at home the reverse fixture at Diss finished with a draw. Fakenham will have a tough game on their hands but want to extend the unbeaten record further and challenge the top of the league as a benchmark for next season's campaign. Fakenham seconds should play Norwich Union second team away, both games will kick off 3pm.