Fakenham 34 Dereham 10

Fakenham entertained Dereham in their last EC2 league game of the season. Fakenham had improved considerably since the first meeting between the two sides but unfortunately the last two competitive games for the club had not gone their way. Expectation from the squad and the coaching team only added to the pressure for a good performance and potentially a favourable result. Dereham opened their account with the opening score by their wing, an unconverted try after seven minutes of play to take the lead (0-5). This shocked the home side into action and forced them to launch a concerted effort and they duly pressed deep into the Dereham 22 metre area and after two or three probes by the forwards, vice-captain Bob Sayer crashed over the line on the ten minutes mark. Lloyd Marshall slotted the kick to give Fakenham the lead 7-5. This had all the hallmarks of a classic

Fakenham v Dereham encounter with plenty of forceful play and firm tough defence but the home side had the edge and after fullback Tom Bane-Young fielded a clearing kick and side-step a few defenders he speed to the line to score Fakenham's second try of the game which was also converted by Lloyd Marshall (14-5). Captain Joe Bane-Young was the next in line to take advantage of some indifferent Dereham tackling to increase the home sides lead and with the conversion the score was 21-5. The blues kept up the pressure and pressed forward forcing another error from Dereham who conceded a penalty and Fakenham decided this time to kick for goal, the ball struck the upright and bounced back into play, giving prop Richard Warren who was following up the kick the chance to re-gather the ball for Fakenham and crash over for the fourth try and a bonus point. Lloyd Marshall kicked the conversion and immediately the whistle blew for half time with Fakenham comfortably in the lead 28-5.
The second half produced some excellent attack and defence from both teams and the first twenty minutes produced no score from either side. Fakenham were hunting for more points, and, when Dereham infringed again Fakenham accepted the kick and Lloyd Marshall was successful to move the scoreboard on to 31-5. Shortly after Lloyd Marshall scored a further penalty to stretch the home side's advantage to 34-5. Dereham did have the final say in the scoring for the game when they scored a try but they were unable to convert it and so left the final score of the match at 34-10. Fakenham finish the league in fifth position on the same points as Dereham but they had the better points difference to take fourth position this means both sides will meet in next year's competition barring any restructuring by the competition committee.
Fakenham first team do not have a fixture next week as many players need to rest after the exertions of the last three weeks but the seconds are in action in an EC4 North league encounter away to Wymondham 3rd, kick off will be 3pm and spectators are very welcome to travel for the match.